1) The Climate – its blue skies year around. Wonderful therapy from those depressing winter skies of the north!
2) The People – Everyone here…and I mean everyone…is nice. Maybe they are happy to live in a nice place, or maybe the nice people factory just churned out more people in this direction…but it sure makes a difference every day to be warmly greeted wherever you go.
3) The Wildlife – we all have our favorites. Mine are the Great Blue Heron and the dolphins. I especially like when a great blue flies along above my car as I wind down a tree canopied road or when a dolphin comes over to say hello when we are on the boat.
4) And that brings me to…boating. Living in Michigan most of my life, boating was a short lived annual recreational activity. The lakes were only so big and the pontoons were only so fast. Here, boating is as much about transportation as it is recreation. I love to be able to hope on a boat to go to dinner or to run down to Savannah’s river street. It’s faster than driving and much prettier!
5) The Scenery – some like the beach. I’m in love with the marsh. Give me a moss draped oak tree overlooking the marsh and I may never leave.
6) Location – You live in an oasis here but you are close to many things. We make day trips to Charleston, Savannah and Jacksonville.
7) Rush hour – I write this with a smile. Those that have lived here a while are a little spoiled, but those of us that know what real traffic is (metro Detroit, anyone?) sincerely appreciate a short commute, no traffic jams and never waiting more than one traffic light cycle.
8) The History – The lowcountry is brimming with history from the many battles fought on these lands to the Gullah folk that still exist today on the island.
9) The Bridge – there is hardly a more decompressing feeling in my life than to drive across the bridge onto Hilton Head Island. Big exhale. Big Smile.
10) The Ocean - nothing is more rejuvenating or helps me connect with life better than a walk on the beach, salt air and a gorgeous sunset. There is no shortage of picture perfect views here!